Friday, March 7, 2008

My purpose and the blog

As I've said, I feel completely alone in my type of childhood sexual abuse and feel that there really isn't a specific support for men and women who have been sexually abused by a female parent. I have created this blog to share with others what I have experienced because I believe that female perpetrators are far more common then we think. I'm unsure as to why these survivors remain silent even though I have read what limited information exists on the topic. It could be the stigma of it being a mother or a female, as society often sees women as more caring, loving, motherly and less sexual as men. All one needs to do is think about who they visualize when they think of the words pedophile, sexual deviant, and sexual abuser.

I am not at all creating this group as an alternative to seeking therapy or reading books on sexual abuse that deal with the typical male abuser story (family friend, father, brother, uncle, stepfather, grandfather, etc). I used the diverse nature of my abuse as an excuse for years so I could bury it inside of myself and never enter recovery denying that I was even being abused because it was so different. I still struggle with this today. I have found therapy and books on abuse very helpful simply reworking things into a female perpetrator perspective. But I still feel very alone and mindful that it might help myself and others to recognize that our abuse is not completely foreign or unheard of.

Please feel free to share your story, it will always be received in love and understanding no matter how horrible or painful. Or comment on my story and what has helped you, or someone close to you who has suffered childhood sexual abuse. Anger is a normal and healthy part of healing and if your angry please feel free to express that as well. Just make sure that you are never discounting someone else's story or doing something to hurt anyone on this blog - Anger is appropriate, hate and discouragement is not.

Love,

Janie.

No comments: